Steel Cut Oats
Oatmeal is a great way to start the day and provide a good source of energy. The qualities of oatmeal make it very grounding and nourishing for the mind and body. I highly suggest oatmeal for people with high vata constitution or ones that struggle with anxiety, lack of routine or irregularity, arthritis, are of older age and during cold/dry winter season. Properly cooked oats are easy to digest and act as a demulcent, adding more lubrication to the gut and colon. This makes this meal beneficial for people who struggle with constipation or irregularity in bowel movements. Make morning breakfast a ritual, taking time to be present with your meal, savoring one bite at a time. I like to say a prayer beforehand, asking my food to provide me nutrients and energy needed for the day.
I enjoy making my oatmeal into a sundae! Cardamom, cinnamon and fenugreek all help to lower blood pressure. Fenugreek seeds are rich in vitamins and nutrients. Cardamom helps aid in digestion especially with dairy. Cinnamon and cardamom are warming spices to promote digestion, circulation and add more warmth to the body during colder seasons.
1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (soaked night prior)
1 tsp Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder or Seed Pods
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 cups Water or Milk (dairy or nondairy)
Hemp Heart Seeds
Pinch Himalayan Pink Salt
Splash Milk (dairy or nondairy)
Pure Natural Maple Syrup
1. Soak steel cut oats overnight in water.
2. Strain and rinse the oats. Heat coconut oil in saucepan or small pot. Add fenugreek seeds, cardamom and cinnamon to in oil, simmer until fragrant. Toss in the oats, stir to toast in spices a minute.
3. Add 2 cups of water or milk and vanilla extract.
4. Bring to boil then reduce to a very, low simmer. Allow to cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Length of time can depend on how long the oats were soaked. Unsoaked oats may require 40 minutes until fully cooked. May add more water or milk to reach desired consistency.
5. Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!