Golden Carrot, Kale, Beet Soup
Soups are perfect for dinner time! It allows the body time to easily digest the food from the day. The comfort of a heating, nourishing, grounding soup is beneficial to unwind from a long day and provide a good nights rest. A heavy meal before bed may you leave you feeling heavy in the morning and result in undigested food, "Ama." Heavier Meals are best for lunchtime. Soups are so easy to make by just combining produce in a stockpot with some water, broth or coconut milk. For Kapha and Vata constitutions add more heating spices such as ginger, cinnamon, allspice and cayenne. For Vata use a heavier base such as coconut milk and Kapha keep it light with water. Pitta constitutions use more astringent greens and cooling spices like coriander or fresh cilantro. This is a soup basic to get comfortable with. Get creative using different produce especially with the change in seasons.
1 Tsp Coconut Oil or Ghee
1/2 Onion Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic
3 Carrots Chopped
1 Large Golden Beet Chopped into Squares
3-4 Large Leaves of Kale Shredded
6 Cups of Water
1. Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add any spices using until they become fragrant.
2. Add the onion and garlic to saute for a few minutes.
3. Add the carrots and beets, mix to coat in the oil and spices for a few minutes. Allow them to heat in the pot for 5 minutes until they start to shrink a little.
4. Pour in water, may also use broth or coconut milk. Bring to boil.
5. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Check in 30 minutes if the vegetables have become soft. Simmer longer if needed.
6. Add kale in last to wilt.
7. Blend in blender or using an immersion blender.